Luckily for us, summer has seemed to arrive a bit early this year. We’ve been trying to balance keeping the house clean to show {and hopefully sell} it {which is *so* getting old} with enjoying the sunshine and the great outdoors while we’re still here.
And it gets me thinking about the things we’ll miss about Boston. . .{people not included}
Kiddie cones at Friendly’s. {best value on the planet!!}
The BEACH!! Enough said.
History and atmosphere. You know, like living in the middle of the woods with wild turkeys in your yard, and all the fabulous old houses, so many things to see and do. There’s a distinctive character to New England that I will miss. I like to say that it’s a great place to live…if you’re rich!
The Library. I don’t know, I just really like our library{s} here.
And it gets me thinking about the things we’ll miss about Boston. . .{people not included}
Kiddie cones at Friendly’s. {best value on the planet!!}
The BEACH!! Enough said.
History and atmosphere. You know, like living in the middle of the woods with wild turkeys in your yard, and all the fabulous old houses, so many things to see and do. There’s a distinctive character to New England that I will miss. I like to say that it’s a great place to live…if you’re rich!
The Library. I don’t know, I just really like our library{s} here.
Hannafords. It's always been a big deal for me adjusting to a new grocery store whenever we move. {Luckily this time I'll be heading back to familiar ones.}
As well as some of the things we *won’t* miss. . . {again, people not included ;-)}
Multiple-lane roads. Now these are not just the roads with more than one lane for each direction. We’re talking about the kind where you’re driving along and there’s two lanes. Driving along, Oops! Now there’s one lane… Driving along…two lanes again!!…driving along…back to one lane…
Tolls. Talk about the least effective way to collect money. I mean, seriously!! Plus there’s the times when you pass the toll booth to get off the freeway, figure out you took the wrong exit then pass the toll booth *again*-- amazingly annoying.
Driving. It’s insane!! People just make up rules! I realize that Utah drivers don’t have a great reputation either, but what it boils down to there is they just like to drive fast.
{OK, I just noticed those are all about driving...}
Oh! Here we go-- Poison Ivy and Ticks!And then there are the things we are looking forward to in Utah:
Drinkable water. I used to think this was a given until living here. I now know what keeps the bottled water companies in business.
Provo Canyon. {Saving my pennies for some rollerblades}
SIDEWALKS!!
Restaurants. We still haven’t been anyplace where you can get such great food so abundantly. Our theory is that when people don’t down any alcohol with their meal, then the expectations for the food are higher. Our favs {and its been a while, so I’m hoping they’re still around}: Magleby’s Take-out, China Lily, California Sub, Einstein Bros. and any number of Mexican restaurants.
Proximity to things like Costco, Target or a church or parks.
Public Swimming Pools. This may sound weird, but for whatever reason, there aren’t many of those in New England. They just have swimming “holes” and believe me there’s a big difference. Plus everyone and their dog has a pool in their backyard, even though you have about two weeks of swim-worthy weather.
Suicide lanes. Never thought I would miss those, but they don’t really have them here. Maybe it’s because all the roads are so old and there’s not enough space {and basically every lane is a suicide lane…}
SIDEWALKS!!
Restaurants. We still haven’t been anyplace where you can get such great food so abundantly. Our theory is that when people don’t down any alcohol with their meal, then the expectations for the food are higher. Our favs {and its been a while, so I’m hoping they’re still around}: Magleby’s Take-out, China Lily, California Sub, Einstein Bros. and any number of Mexican restaurants.
Proximity to things like Costco, Target or a church or parks.
Public Swimming Pools. This may sound weird, but for whatever reason, there aren’t many of those in New England. They just have swimming “holes” and believe me there’s a big difference. Plus everyone and their dog has a pool in their backyard, even though you have about two weeks of swim-worthy weather.
Suicide lanes. Never thought I would miss those, but they don’t really have them here. Maybe it’s because all the roads are so old and there’s not enough space {and basically every lane is a suicide lane…}
BYU Campus. It's not really Utah we're going for, its BYU. There's just no place quite like it.
2 comments:
I'm with you on missing so many things from the west (especially food)! When I go visit my family in Washington and Oregon my main goal is to get into Jack-in-the-Box, Arbys, and Arctic Circle. Nothing like greasy food from home to make your stomach gurgle at 8:30 in the morning!
OK-- so I'm really glad you commented. What fun to see your family. It would be nice if you and Bruce looked like it has been a few years since we last saw you two. Your kids are adorable. We just went to Utah over Spring Break for Neal and Stacy's sealing and blessing of Bo and for Paul's blessing of Aubrey. We do get there on occasion and since both Paul and Robert are in the Provo/Orem area, when you get there it would be fun to see you. Or, if you ever go to visit your family, mine is still there. I wold love to be able to arrange a visit. I would love to catch up. email me at kmstoddard71@aol.com if ever you get a free moment. Give Bruce a big hug and what a fun treat to see you on my blog!!! Now I am going to go read all about you!
Post a Comment