So the other day I saw a room in BHG and did something that I never do—I looked up in the back of the magazine to find where to buy the bedspread. It is beautiful, no?
Here’s the catch. Yes, did you see the price on that puppy?? Three hundred and fifty smackeroos. {!!!} Seriously, that’s still ninety bucks even if by some miracle I found it for *seventy*five*percent*off* {{Sigh}} Needless to say, it was back to the drawing board for me. So then I began searching for similar fabric to piece together a quilt {or more realistically a duvet cover…}
This one is a possibility:
Here’s the catch. Yes, did you see the price on that puppy?? Three hundred and fifty smackeroos. {!!!} Seriously, that’s still ninety bucks even if by some miracle I found it for *seventy*five*percent*off* {{Sigh}} Needless to say, it was back to the drawing board for me. So then I began searching for similar fabric to piece together a quilt {or more realistically a duvet cover…}
This one is a possibility:

I could even fork out the 8 bucks a yard. Sure sounds reasonable next to $350!
But I’m not ready to stop looking yet…
But I’m not ready to stop looking yet…
9 comments:
I used that fabric in Evangeline's baby quilt. LOVE it!
Ugh, I just started the same chore. Our comforter is from before we even got married. It's hideous and about time that we buried it in the backyard.
I think that looks like a very good possibility. I really like the color combination.
Picking a new cover for your bed is a big challenge! Especially once you consider how your tastes have changed since you got married (I was far too interested in the burgundy, navy, hunter green combo in 1998). I gave up at the larger stores and went to HomeGoods for my own find several months ago. Good luck with the hunt!
Um... House updates??? : )
I had a hard time finding the quilt I had in my head for my new bed when I "upsized".
My only advice is to figure out what it is you like and find inspiration in from the expensive one. Then try TJ Maxx, Kohl's (they have great home sales periodically), Burlington Coat Factory (suprisingly large selection) and Macy's. Chances are you'll find a much more affordable alternative that has the same sort of inspiration.
Look on e-bay. I just bought a Martha Stewart duvet, coverlet, and 4 pillow shams for $90 with shipping! It normally would have cost me almost $400. Happy shopping!
I am glad that I am not alone in this search! I look at every store I go into, hoping the perfect one will be waiting for me...on sale! Goodluck!
I like the fabric you picked. Here are a couple other thoughts: 1) check overstock.com. 2) In Europe, where duvets are popular, most people make duvet covers using sheets. Happy hunting!
Okay so 375 bucks is a bit much for a comforter. I made a HUGE quilt for Jay and I to fit our cali king bed. This was when we were living in UT and I even double stuffed it, so it is super warm! After the cost of everything it was still only 115 dollars. I would go that route or look at Burlington, they have some cool stuff most of the time.
Post a Comment