Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My taxes at work


Our water conservancy district has a test garden nearby where they show you different plants that don't require much water. Tonight we went to visit and I was surprised with how many plants there were that I really liked.

Mostly we were going to check out a couple of different kinds of lawns. We really liked the bio turf, which is supposed to use 25% less water, and the liesure grass we might use in the back yard. I didn't like the look of it as much, but it has really skinny blades so it was nice and soft to walk on in my bare feet. They also had some RTF fescue grass that is greener and self seeding, but costs twice as much as the others.

We saw a hummingbird there, which the kids thought was fun. I thought it was fun too. Unfortunately, at that *precise* moment my camera battery died. Seriously.
But these are some of the pretty ones I did get pictures of before that happened:
that one looks almost tropical
Buttered Popcorn Daylily {he he he}
{Desert Willow}
Not a great pic of this one, it was not really in its prime at the moment.

I want to use the Boxwood to make a small hedge that borders our planting beds/lawn.
{Maybe I will find a picture to illustrate that later.}

The name of the flower that the hummingbird was drinking from is the rupestris hyssop. {however in the world you say that! Yeah, and that's not even the scientific name.} I did not see it drinking from the hummingbird flower, go figure.


Oh, and the lily at the top I am pretty sure is the Bama Music Daylily. But the tags were kind of askew.






5 comments:

Melissa said...

That sounds like a cool place to visit. I really like the Desert Willow. You guys sure are doing a lot of cool projects around your house/yard-way to go!

Monica said...

okay, your husband is amazing for doing the sprinkler system. Brad WAS going to do it until we found out that he would have to move a main water valve 4ft up to ground level (which is really the city's property and not ours) so that made me really nervous and I persuated/threatened that he MUST hire it out. And in one day we have an awesome sprinkler system from some guy who knew what he was doing! P.S. blanket flowers are awesome and they reseed themselves really quickly, I love them and they grow so fast and bring a bold color. I have planted some in my front yard after envying my friends yard for so long. K I'm done with this post since it is a novel!

Amber said...

Love the arizona sun flowers--I know that even grows where I am at--which means it should be pretty easy. (not to jinx you or anything) :-)

Amy said...

Wow that's really cool. my neighbor has that grass you mentioned and there lawn is the greenest on our street. It is very thick even tho the blades are tiny. When they mow it you can't even tell its different.

Amy said...

Hey Melanie,

I would love to send you an invitation to my baby shower. Will you email me your address?

Also, can you email me Megans as well?

Thanks so much
amyline_anderson@yahoo.com