Monday, August 10, 2009

Still. No. Patio.

Saturday Morning
6:00 am: Got out of bed {yay} to get ready for the cement to be poured at 6:30.
I had to tape up some stuff over the foundation to keep the concrete splashes from sticking to the plaster. But the beautiful morning weather cheers me up. And the idea of *finally* having our patio puts a little spring in my step.

6:30 am: Pump truck arrives and starts getting situated. {This is an extra $200 truck we have to use so they can pump the concrete *over* the top of the house. Driving a cement mixer truck up the driveway would result in a broken driveway.}

7:00 am: Wondering why the cement truck isn't here yet. Or our cement guy. But he's usually been late before.

7:15-7:30 {this is where things start to get blurry} am: I look up and see the pump truck hanging over my head. I think I should go get my camera and take a picture of this momentous occasion. But wait, just then the pump truck guy comes to the back and says, "It looks like you've been cancelled and nobody told you. I'm on the wrong job." What the??

Confusion soon turns to anger. The Professor gets on the phone as I watch the pump truck slowly pack up and drive away. Goodbye.

So then we find a message on our voicemail. Concrete guy called and said there was a chance of rain that morning so he was going to cancel and move it to next Saturday.

And apparently the pump truck guy didn't get the message either. OK, so the good news is that we didn't have to pay for him showing up and not pouring. But in some ways I think that made it all that much worse since the truck was *here.*

Incidentally, I love the fact that our phone doesn't show us any kind of indication when we have a message. It drives. me. nuts. But it's not like I thought at 6 in the morning to check my messages. The guy had been at our house Friday night, for crying out loud.

And it didn't rain. All day long.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Stupid weather...I hate it when that happens. Glad you didn't have to pay anyone on top of everything.

Leah said...

At least your guys actually called you. We have been waiting for 2 months now for our concrete and grass to be put in...It was supposed to be in today, but do you think I got a call? Nope... So, be grateful you at least got that! :)