Right around lunchtime on Monday, wait, backup--Friday and Saturday we spent putting down peat moss and getting our grass seed topped off. It looked pretty tight, if I do say so. I said to myself, I need to take pictures for the blog. And we could see some green spots where the grass was sprouting.
OK, now to Monday, right around lunchtime I heard some thunder. Saw some lightning. Went to the window and saw some light rain. . .turn into a flash flood. That's right. And hail, to boot.The gutters literally could not contain it all, and the water was pouring down over the sides all around the house. I just stood there, realizing there was absolutely nothing I could do.
Here is a picture of the front yard right after the rain stopped. {It only lasted about ten minutes.} The water kept streaming for a while even after the rain went away since there was so much water. The glare from the light makes it hard to see the streams of water washing over the sidewalk. Bye bye, seeds. Bye bye, peat moss. Bye bye, topsoil. {And good night to the old lady whispering hush.}

Here's the hail residue.

You can see it better in this picture of the back yard. At least in the back yard the water didn't carry it off of our property. {We're going to have all kinds of stuff growing out of our storm drain with all that peat moss and topsoil that landed there.}

Actually, after a few days we realized that it wasn't as bad as it seemed at first. Since there was a lot of seed that had already started growing, it pretty much stayed put. So we bought another pound or two of seed and filled in some of the bigger gaps and then topped it off with some more peat moss.
I guess the good news is that it got plenty of water.
1 comment:
Wow. Glad it turned out pretty much OK. I'm sure it will be the garden of Eden soon. You are real troopers--we are SO impressed!!!
Post a Comment