Thursday, December 10, 2009

Recovered

My ironing board was getting pretty grimy. Stuff I ironed would actually be dirtier after it was ironed. Not a good thing. And since I don't need any extra reasons not to iron, I thought I would try and spiff it up. I found this tutorial and got to work.
Here's a "Before" shot. Nice, huh?




I looked for a while for some fabric that would match what's in the laundry room so I could stand to look at it if it were hanging on the wall. After a few trips to the fabric store, I decided to bag that idea.


Here is what I ended up with.

I was almost to the end of the process, trying to actually put the new cover onto the ironing board and I had to resist the urge to hurl it into space, because it was a pretty tight fit. But I really didn't want to have to start over, so I kept adjusting and tightening and adjusting and made. it. fit. {phew.} And so, my advice to anyone with a mind to attempt this project, it would be to your advantage, it seems, to err on the side of too big rather than too small when measuring/cutting/sewing the cover. Other than that it went pretty quickly. I think it took me a couple hours.


Oh, the other thing that took a while was threading the super long string {which I saved from the original cover} into the hem. I always dread that part.


And speaking of ironing boards, here is a hilarious commentary on them. For some reason I couldn't get it to post to my blog, so you'll have to click over. But its worth it.

5 comments:

marticall said...

That is the NICEST ironing board I have ever seen. Wow! Great job!! Really nice colors. :)

Leah said...

Wow! Good job. I would have just been lazy and bought a new cover rather than fight with that :)

Melissa said...

It looks great, I like the fabric.

Mamma Meg said...

So pretty, it even would have looked good flying through space.

Mamma Meg said...

I just watched it! We went and saw him last year and laughed our heads off. In all honesty, the noise an ironing board makes when opened is one of my least favorite sounds in the entire world.