Friday, July 2, 2010

Mmmm, Zebra

Yesterday when we were at Sam’s Club they had a big fancy popcorn company giving out free samples for their super expensive popcorn. I promised the kids that I could make them popcorn just like that for a fraction of the cost. So this afternoon we made some of what they called “zebra” flavor.

And in celebration of the fact that I’ve lost 8 pounds this month I let myself taste some. But it’s back to the 60 calorie fudgsicles for me until I drop another 5.

This is the recipe for the caramel corn. Then we just drizzled melted chocolate chips and melted white chocolate on top for the zebra stripes.

Easy Caramel Corn

2 bags microwave pop corn*

(recipe calls for Jolly Time Blast o Butter)

Non stick cooking spray

1 cup butter or margarine

2 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup corn syrup

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp vanilla

  1. Preheat oven to 250º. Coat the bottom of a large roasting pan with cooking spray. Pop the pop corn, discard any unpopped corn.
  2. In a heavy pan, melt the butter. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Heat to a boil, stirring constantly. Then let boil for five minutes without stirring. Remove from heat, stir in baking soda and vanilla. Gradually pour over popped corn in roasting pan and stir.
  3. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven, cool completely, store in airtight containers.

* I made one batch of popcorn {1/3 cup} in my Whirleypop {love it!} on the stove.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

That looks so good. I am definitely going to make it sometime. That's fun that Cuddles and Easy got to help make it. And way to go on the weight loss, I saw in one of your other posts that you and Easy have matching shirts so I'm guessing you fit in little girl sizes like last summer! :)