Tuesday, July 13, 2010

on being organized

There was a time in my life that I spent a lot of energy researching how to be organized. I was looking through magazines, books, tv shows trying to find the perfect system that would make my life organized. And clean. Clean and organized.
I tried a few different things.
I finally realized that I wasn't just looking for a system to put things in order, what I really wanted was something that would stay organized without any effort from me. I wanted to clean up once and then never have to clean up that spot again. What I was looking for was something or someone to do the work for me. And then I knew that there is no magic wand to being organized. No matter what system I decide to use, I would still have to put in the work. You know, the whole 'keep up, don't catch up."
Alas.
Anyway, I came across a few articles today about being organized that seem to ring true with what I have decided is the Reality of organization in my life. here. here. and here.

7 comments:

Cherisa said...

Can I get an "Amen!" Sista'?! Love it! I, too, have looked for self-organizing-and-maintaining programs and they don't really exist (unless you have a housekeeper). I loved the articles you added. I've adapted the mantra, "I'm not perfect and neither is my house," recently. Of course, I have gotten back to my Sidetracked Home Executives system but even doing all my cards every day, the house still isn't Martha-Stewart-Catalog ready. But who cares? Let's go run through the sprinklers!

marticall said...

You Are Organized--enough. I remember that you organized the pantry shelves at home, and your room had a place for everything. But a house is to be LIVED IN too, not cold or stuffy. NO ONE EXPECTS perfection, or they don't live in reality. A friend with small children of her own once said 'Isn't that what closets are for, to put things in-and then close the door?' Yeh, time for the sprinklers.

Mamma Meg said...

Man I need these. Thanks a ton!

Jules said...

Hi! It looks like you guys are doing good! We haven't seen you for a while, but, maybe sometime soon! Your Zebra popcorn looks awesome, your haircuts were cute, and congrats on dropping some pounds! Jules

Amy said...

It was good to see you guys and meet your kids in person, I felt like I knew so much about them because of your blog, but they probably had no idea who I was.

I agree with the organizing thing. I am a compulsive organizer, did you know there is an organization FOR organizers? that is now on my bucket list.

Missletoe said...

This is all making way too much sense...and sense it involves so little from me I think I ccan handle it!

P.S. I LOVE the new hair -dos!

Rachel said...

"What I was looking for was something or someone to do the work for me." I think this makes perfect sense. I've stopped reading organizing articles in magazines because the tips made things look pretty, but they couldn't do the maintenance for me.